BBC Power of Art, is TV series that talks about the power of art. It contains 8 episodes in which each episodes a life of a great artist and his paintings are discussed.
This is not a series about things that hang on walls, it is not about decor or prettiness. It is a series about the force, the need, the passion of art
…the power of art. – BBC
Each of the eight one hour episodes examines the biography of an artist and his key work through Schama‘s considerations and some reenactments:
- Caravaggio – David with the Head of Goliath (c. 1610)
- Bernini – Ecstasy of Saint Teresa (1657)
- Rembrandt – The Conspiracy of Claudius Civilis (1662)
- David – The Death of Marat (1793)
- Turner – The Slave Ship (1840)
- Van Gogh – Wheatfield with Crows (1890)
- Picasso – Guernica (1937)
- Rothko – Black on Maroon (1958)
I found this TV series very valuable for a person who is interested in painting and to get inspired by some great artists.